Ford, Kwan and Company was amongst the first ones in the Hong Kong legal profession
who served China enterprises and China-related clients. Our China
Practice Department is composed of two China-appointed Attesting Officers
appointed by the Ministry of Justice of The People’s Republic of China, and Hong Kong practicing lawyer who possess
academic qualification in both common law and Chinese law. The
Department provides effective legal services to overseas and local
enterprises in PRC investment and legal services to PRC enterprises in
listing and investment in Hong Kong.
All the members of the Department are Chinese who are familiar with Chinese culture as well as the practice and procedures in commercial activities in China. In addition to English and Chinese languages, including Putonghua and Guangdong dialects, we are also conversant in other Chinese dialects, such as Shanghai dialect, that greatly facilitates communication with our clients from different provinces and cities of China.
We have built up a close business relationship and network with the law firms and intermediaries across major provinces and cities in China including Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Nanjing, Hangzhou, Ningbo, Qingdao, Anhui Province and Hubei Province. With such a large-scale network, we can meet different needs of clients and ensure that timely, efficient and effective legal services are provided.
Since the establishment of our Firm in 1945, we have always been advising enterprises, manufacturers, financial institutions, insurance and trust companies in both Hong Kong and China.
We also have extensive experience in advising Hong Kong enterprises to obtain banking facilities with PRC assets as security, drafting legal documents and arranging the necessary legal formalities in relation thereto.
We are also the legal advisor of Chinachem Group, a major property developer in Hong Kong, in its direct investment projects in China including investments in electricity station, food processing factory, oil refinery station, agricultural and minerals research projects, hotel and shopping and entertainment arcade development projects.
We have extensive experience in the development and pre-sale of real estates. We are also experienced in advising banks and financial institutions in providing mortgage to individual purchasers of landed properties in China.
The major areas of work of our China Practice Department include:
- setting up joint ventures, representative offices and chain stores for local or foreign enterprises in Mainland China;
- working out the feasibility of corporate finance projects across border; credit investigation and negotiation;
- advising foreign banks and corporations in legal proceedings for debt recovery and in arbitration proceedings;
- advising developers and financial institutions in the developments, marketing (pre-sale, sale and purchase), preparation of management contracts and arrangement of mortgage facilities;
- succession, assignment by way of gift and transfer in real estates;
- offering legal services in China enterprise reform, listing and allotment of shares on the Main Board and Growth Enterprises Market in The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong;
- applying for patent, registration of trademarks, copyrights, use and assignment of trademarks